Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Thinking of my grandparents....

For some reason, tonight I am missing my grandparents. All of them. They were all special and an integral part of my life. My dad's dad was a sweet, gentle, kind-hearted man. I remember him only from when I was a child, he died when I was 10. I remember he had so much spirit, so much love for his grandchildren. And I miss him, I missed out on getting to know him well. He missed seeing me grow up and have his great grand-children. It makes me sad. I had the privilege of having the others up until two years ago, though my nanny, my dad's mom, pretty much checked out several years ago. She was something else. She was pretty prideful and vain, but she loved us, a lot! I hated that she didn't get to meet the brown-eyed grandkid she'd always wanted. She passed away when I was 34, and I hadn't seen her in 4 years or more. That makes a person feel bad, she was my nanny. She was Jahovah's Witness Cult and it put a lot of stress on our relationship, though we did spend a lot of time during the summers at her house. I remember their garden, the funny little stand up shower in their bathroom, the match lighting, tee hee, and the huge wash tub in the laundry room that I used to bathe in as a small child!

My mom's parents were the best. They were always very involved in our lives. They came to concerts and recitals and were here for so many holidays I can only remember a few that they weren't. My papa passed away Jan. 11, 1997 and was burried Jan. 14, 1997. There's a huge significance to these dates, Koty was born Jan. 14, 1998, very cool huh? My grandma was the one who drew that to my attention. I hated that my papa didn't get to meet my kids, he would have loved them. He was a character, he called me Genie with the light brown hair. What? I was always blonde! I think he could have taught Koty and Dylan to play the guitar. He could have shown them so many things. I miss him!

My grandma, hmmm, where do I start, she was one of my best friends as we got older. She was wonderful and kind and loved us like a grandma does. I learned to cook fried chicken like she did, and boy could she fry that chicken! She was a Sunday school teacher, and a good mom, and a great grandma! I miss her so badly. She could always see the good in everyone, even her stinking rotten grandkids! :D She had a distorted view of her boys, but it was just because she loved them so much, she couldn't see that they were messing up. She so wanted them to be successful and happy, and I think through her death, she may have reached my Uncle Phil. I'm praying. My Uncle Tracey, well, he's a different story, prayers for him too, though. Grandma loved, that's what she was guilty of, she loved too much to see that they had really goofed up their lives. I think in the end, she realized her greatest accomplishment on earth was my mom. My mom is the best. She smacks me down when I need it, she builds me up when I need it, and she loves, she might even love deeper than my grandma did. It's a tight race! Grandma passed last year, and we have missed her smile, her goofy antics and her sweet love that only she could give ever since. I know she's better now, no more back pain, no more struggling to breath, but I do miss her tons!

Just feeling nostalgic tonight and wanted to thank God for my grandparents! They were an eclectic mix, but they were mine and I appreciate every opportunity I had to spend with them here on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment